Friday, December 13, 2013

Seriously, This Chicken Recipe.

It's KILLER...

When eating healthy for the purposes of fueling your body to reach a fitness goal, it can get REALLY monotonous. It's all; brown rice, plain chicken breast and steamed broccoli...
BORING. Friggen shoot me now. I had raw spinach for my lunch today and forgot my balsamic dressing at home...I almost died. I had to eat it plain and it was torture...and I like raw spinach. 
I don't think it needs to be this way. 
I love flavor and food, and flavor and food together. Make sense? So I have been looking  for some ways to add really great flavor to really healthy foods that don't add a lot of salt, sugar, fat or calories to it. And it's got to be easy. This is really easy! 

Hot & Sweet Chicken

What you will need:

1 Green Pepper
1 Onion (I prefer Vidalia or "Sweet Onions")
1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
3 Chicken Breast Cubed
1/2 Tbsp Cumin
1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
Cayenne Pepper ("grow some" and add a lot!)
5 Tbsp Trader Joe's Hot & Sweet Mustard (If you can't get this, honey mustard works too!)
1/2 Cup Pineapple Chunks (Trader Joe's has frozen tidbits but you can always use fresh)


***Cooking Tip: You don't need to add salt to this recipe. If you add salt, I will magically show up in your kitchen and slap the salt shaker out of your hand. Test me.

To start, cut your onion and green pepper and sautee in a pan with the coconut oil. Coconut oil is AMAZING. And it's a miracle ingredient because it doesn't take much. Always use less than what you think you need.

**Cooking Tip: When cooking onions and peppers together, I always start with the peppers first. They take a about 3-4 minutes longer to cook than the onions. But like with most of my vegetables, I never cook them until they're limp. Who wants wimpy, limpy, soggy vegetables? Cook them less than what you think they need. The more you cook veggies, the more you remove the nutrients. My rule is this; the more they keep their color, the more they keep their minerals and vitamins and all that snazzy stuff. They should still have their shape and crispiness when you're done cooking them.

Next, take the onions and peppers out of the pan but leave the liquid that appeared during the cooking process in it. Add your cubed chicken and season it with your cumin, cayenne pepper (however much your little taste buds can handle), onion & garlic powder. Cook the chicken on medium heat until it's cooked through. This should take about 7-8 minutes. At that point add your hot & sweet mustard. Let this cook for another 3-4 minutes or so. You will want to cook the extra liquid off. The mustard may caramelize a little bit as it cooks. Near the end of this process, add your pineapple and cook for a minute more. Make sure not to add the pineapple until the chicken is cooked completely.


You're done! Congratulations, I know you did a really good job!

Side Recommendations:
Sweet Potato
Baked Purple Potato
Brown Rice
Black Rice AKA: Forbidden Rice
Broccoli

Acorn Squash 
Black Beans
Sauteed Spinach

You're going to thank me for this recipe.
You're welcome:)

-RB Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment