Friday, December 27, 2013

French Lentil Soup

I Wish You Could Smell This Blog Post...

I found this soup online somewhere when I was first introduced to lentils. Whenever you find a new recipe, it's always a risk. You never know how it's going to turn out. It could sound great and end up a dud or it can sound a little strange and end up changing your life. This recipe changed my life. 15 minutes into cooking it, I was engulfed in an aroma that made me melt. I stood at the stove stirring the onions and carrots and spices and I could hardly believe what I was smelling. Seriously, if it smelled this good, I couldn't imagine how it tasted. 
Since then I have made this soup seven or eight times, usually when I have friends over for dinner. This time, I made it for Shereen. Shereen is one of my great friends. Her wardrobe is impeccable. She has a fantastic fashion sense and every piece in her closet is a "statement piece". We work well together because she can be just as sarcastic as I can and can handle my weird side. I don't know that we have ever taken each other seriously. 

Here it is...as always, I have adapted the recipe to fit me a little better. I REALLY hope that you enjoy this!


French Lentil Soup


What You Will Need:

1/8 Cup Olive Oil (I have also used Coconut Oil and it works just as well)
1 Large Onion, Diced
4 Carrots, Diced
1 Green Pepper, Diced
1 Cup Celery, Diced (Or 1 Tbsp Celery Seeds)
8-10 Sprigs of Thyme (Remove the leaves from the stem. I use fresh thyme as it is cheap and you can find it anywhere. You can use the left over to season chicken. And with any fresh herbs, you can always dry your left overs)
1 Tbsp Dried Tarragon
1 Tsp Paprika 
5 Cloves Garlic, Minced (I have also added shallots and it's just as delicious)
2 14.5oz Cans of Diced Tomatoes
1 1/3 Cup of French Lentils (Rinsed and drained. If you tend to have "issues" with beans, soak the lentils for 12 hours in water before and it should help significantly)
7 Cups of Low Sodium Chicken Stock (Substitute vegetable stock to make this soup vegan)

Begin with heating the oil in a large soup pan. When oil is hot, add onions. Make sure the heat is turned down low at this point. You will want to cook the onions like this for 10 minutes or until they are translucent. When they are ready, add the tarragon, thyme and paprika. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Next add the garlic, celery (or celery seeds), green peppers, and carrots and cook until all vegetables are soft. At this point, add your canned tomatoes. Stir until mixture is covered and let this cook for 5 minutes. When you're ready, add the drained lentils. Stir again so everything is coated and mixed well. If your mixture is dry at this point, add a little bit of stock. When it is all good and mixed, add the remaining stock and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn down the heat to bring the soup to a simmer. Put a lid on it and let it cook for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are soft. 

There are several ways you can serve this soup. I served it with brussel sprouts this time. You can also dice baked sweet potatoes, butternut squash or acorn squash and pour the soup over that. It goes perfectly with a good crusty sourdough bread. But I ALWAYS buy a block of Parmesan and grate it on top of the hot soup. Another idea, serve it garnished with pistachios.

However you serve it, it will be amazing. It's not a recipe that you can mess up easily. It's one that allows you to be creative and change out ingredients to fit your pallet. But most of all, it is hearty, filling and one of the most aromatic, delicious soups I have ever had. ENJOY!

-RB Xx


1 comment:

  1. OMG..... Robin thank you for this incredible recipe! love love love

    ReplyDelete