Thursday, November 21, 2013

Making the Swap.

Choose to eat right...

The process started in my personal training sessions at Hammer Fitness. I talked with my trainer a few times about what I was eating. He would always suggest to me healthier meal options and I would quickly ignore them. I am very grateful for the way he approached the subject. He was never pushy, never forced it, but always offered his advice. For me it had to be a decision I felt I made on my own. You can suggest the same idea to me 100 times but unless I feel like it came from my own head, I won't do it. Call it stubbornness, call it pride. The trick is to guide me into making the conclusion you want me to make and I'm 100% for it!
Anyways, at that time I had no interest in egg whites and protein powders. Who would when you had the gift of downing a personal size pizza in under two minutes. And when I say personal size, I mean 14 inches of cheesy, galicy, oiniony, pepperoni topped goodness...

Yes, I know. If you don't believe me I will be forced to prove it. Just triple dog dare me. 

Back on subject, my trainer's point was proved the day I came in for training after eating a plate full of pancakes layered in butter and doused in syrup (there was also a side of fried eggs and bacon served with it but I may have failed to mention it to him). Ten minutes into my workout and I almost saw that breakfast come back up. He saw the look in my eyes, or the glazing over that happens right before you wretch, and I didn't stop hearing about pancakes for the next several workouts. 
That was when I decided to take his advice. 

I had no idea what I was doing but I have researched a lot and watched and inquired about the changes other people have made in their lives and this is where I am today:

Milk (2%) to Unsweetened Almond Milk or Lite Soy Milk
I cut out milk because of the calories it carries. Now there are things that are just better with milk. With these things I will use fat free milk. For those of you who are looking for more protein in your diet, try lite soy milk or fat free milk. They carry anywhere from 6-8 grams per cup.  I like the unsweetened vanilla almond and soy milks because they add the essence of vanilla into a dish, especially in oatmeal. Vanilla isn't just for sweet dishes and desserts. Be courageous. Add vanilla into something savory that you are eating for dinner, like rice or quinoa. I dare you.

Butter to Olive Oil & Coconut Oil 
These two oils each carry a list great health benefits that butter doesn't have. The downside, they also carry a heavy load of calories and fat. Coconut oil, in one serving, includes a days worth of your saturated fat. They should be used sparingly, but not be completely ignored. They are a great addition to many recipes. They each offer a different flavor profile so what may be good with olive oil may not be the best with coconut oil. Experiment with both!

White Flour to Whole Wheat Flour & Buckwheat Flour
The simple explanation? White flour has been processed and stripped of it's beneficial nutrients vs whole wheat flour which still has all it's vitamins. White flour also digests too quickly in your body leaving your insulin levels high and you left feeling hungry. 
Whole wheat flour is full of vitamins and minerals, leaves you feeling full and fuels your body.  
Buckwheat flour, deceivingly, is not in the wheat family. Buckwheat is a grain-like fruit seed from a flower that is harvested and can be ground into a flour to use in baking. It is gluten free and is an amazing substitute for flour in most dishes. I love it. It 's heartier and carries it's own list of amazing health benefits. 

Whole Eggs to Egg Whites
Well, this one took me a little longer to do than the others. For some reason I was afraid of eggs without their yolks. I am not sure why, but I was very apprehensive when making this change. The first time I tried scrambled egg whites, I made them, sat them on the table, and just stared at them for a good two minutes. I honestly don't know what my problem was. But now I eat them every day. Three scrambled egg whites with 2 tbls of salsa every morning and I love them. The reason I decided to make the change was because of the nutritional difference between a meal of 2 whole eggs and a meal of 3 fluffy whites. And since I eat them everyday, it was important that I chose the healthier option.

One egg contains: 71 calories, 5 grams fat, 211 mg cholesterol, 6 grams protein 
One egg white contains: 16 calories, 0 grams fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 grams protein

That's a pretty big difference. I wanted the calories I saved when eating egg whites to use elsewhere in my day...mainly for peanut butter. When I get to heaven, first thing I am thanking God for face to face is peanut butter. Second thing; sweet potatoes.

Simple Carbohydrates to Complex Carbohydrates
Simply put, simple carbohydrates carry little nutritional value and are made of one or two sugars. Because they are "simple" they are quickly digested in your body which again, like white flour, cause the body's insulin levels to skyrocket leading to all sorts of health problems. Simple carbs cause you to gain weight and they leave you feeling hungry. Complex carbohydrates are made up of three or more sugars so they take longer to digest. This keeps you full for longer. They are also rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins. When eaten in moderation, they act as fuel to your body.
White rice to brown rice. White potatoes to purple and sweet potatoes. White pasta to whole wheat pasta.
Complex carbohydrates: lentils, kidney beans, asparagus, apples, spelt, barley, oats, chickpeas, grapefruit.....there are too many to list. Google it!

Ground Beef to Lean Ground Turkey/Beef/Chicken
TURKEY BURGERS!

Sugar
By my own convictions, I have chosen to stop eating sugar as much as possible. Except for fruit, there isn't much sugar left in my diet. If you're not so daring, I would recommend these substitutions for refined white sugar: pure maple syrup, honey, agave.

Salt
Stop adding salt to your food. Stop eating food high in sodium. Cut out soy sauce. Just say NO to Ramen Noodles. When I stopped adding salt and started eating foods with little or no MSG and sodium, I saw the main difference in my stomach. I have abs, but salt kept me bloated and I couldn't see the abs I had worked so hard to get. It's incredible how much flatter my stomach stays since I've removed sodium from my diet. So instead of salt, I started using spices. There are literally THOUSANDS of different spices in this world you can use. If you don't know where to start, take a look at my grocery list to see some of the regulars I keep in my kitchen. Add flavor, not sodium.

Pasta
Pour your sauce over: steamed broccoli, kidney beans, whole wheat pasta, zucchini ribbons, spaghetti squash, baked cauliflower, brown rice, baked or mashed sweet potato, or into a baked butternut squash. 

Sour Cream, Mayo or Cream
Fat free plain greek yogurt.

Butter or Oil
Apple sauce, banana puree or mashed avacados.

Bread crumbs or Breading
Crushed nuts (almonds/pistachios), sesame seeds, rolled oats.

There it is! Do what you can, take it step by step, day by day and don't forget to give yourself grace!

-RB Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment