Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Grocery Stores Are a Girl's Best Friend?

Grocery Shopping...

I can seriously lose myself in the average grocery store, but put me in a place like Whole Foods and it's like taking a kid into a toy store. Time no longer exists, my eyes glaze over and I touch, smell and taste EVERYTHING (nope, I don't work around common social rules)! I recently went into a Whole Foods and spent 30 mins at their spice/grain wall. I ended up walking out with white popcorn kernels, tandoori and uncooked forbidden rice. Let the experimenting begin!

All that to say, I can get a little out of control when grocery shopping. Some girls love clothes, I love recipe ingredients. So for me, I have learned that it's good to keep strong boundaries between my store and I. Therefor I have a "Master Grocery List". This list keeps my field trips to the store within reason. I don't always keep to it but it helps me out a lot, especially when living on a budget. And by the way, if you don't need to live on a budget...I want your life. 

So below I have added my grocery list to help you out. I am making several changes in my life which means my list consist of healthier, "clean eating" items. This is all new to me and I've been trying out all sorts of different recipes which you'll see more of soon!

Disclaimer: This isn't the "end all be all" list. This list doesn't strictly adhere to "clean eating" requirements. This is my own version. It's what helps me and gives me results. Take what you want from it, leave what you don't. And if you hate it; print it out, crumple it up, throw it on the floor and stomp on it. I don't care:)


Master List


Dairy: 
  • Almond Milk (Brand: Silk. Unsweetened vanilla)
  • Greek Yogurt (Brand:Kroger. Plain & as low in fat as possible. I have a phenomenal Pancake Recipe using this ingredient )
  • Fat Free or Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
  • Fat Free or Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese (Not shredded)
  • Fat Free or Low Fat Cottage Cheese (Brand: Daisy. This is the brand that has the least amount of ingredients in it which is a good thing. If you can't pronounce more than two ingredients in the list, put it back)
  • Parmesan (Not grated, I buy the block & grate it myself)
Meat:
  • Pork Loin (My indulgence)
  • Ground Turkey (99% fat free)
  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (The smaller the breast, the healthier it is. It means less hormones and chemicals)
  • Eggs (I tend to keep 2 dozen in my fridge at all times)
Spices:
  • Tarragon 
  • Garlic Power
  • Onion Powder
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Vanilla (My friend great friend Jess gifted me w vanilla from Mexico. It took our friendship to a whole 'notha level:))
  • Thyme 
  • Mrs. Dash (She has quite a few "salt free" seasonings)
  • Cumin
  • Coriander 
  • Tandoori
  • Sage
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Pumpkin Pie Spice (Great for oatmeal)
  • Pepper
  • Cayenne Pepper
Grains & Nuts: 
  • Original Oatmeal Packets (Brand: Simple Truth Organic. You may have to buy the more expensive organic brand. Sometimes the generic store brands are loaded with salt)
  • Quaker Oats (In the big cylinder tub)
  • Lentils (French & red lentils are my favorite. In soups, french lentils keep their shape and density while red lentils mush up. They offer two very different consistencies)
  • Quinoa 
  • Buckwheat Flour
  • Brown Rice 
  • Almonds (Whole)
  • Flat Bread (Brand: Flat Out. I get the "Light Original" or the "Whole Wheat". These are really great. They surprisingly have 9 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbohydrates, 2.5 grams of fat and 90 calories each. I usually bake them & eat them with soup, use them as pizza crust or top them w peanut butter and bananas for a snack)
Vegetables: 
  • Broccoli (Everyday. Honestly, I'm surprised I'm not green)
  • Onions
  • Garlic 
  • Avocados
  • Asparagus
  • Spaghetti Squash (I use it as in place of pasta noodles)
  • French Green Beans
  • Carrots
  • Spinach 
  • Green Peppers 
  • Tomatoes
  • Cans of Pumpkin Puree (Not "Pie Filling", BIG difference)
  • Sweet Potatoes (Another one of my obsessions. I eat one everyday. Usually 1/2 at lunch & the other 1/2 before or after the gym. Think "complex carbs")
  • Brussel Sprouts (Love these in the morning with eggs!)
  • Cauliflower (You can make pizza crust out of this!)
Fruit: 
  • Bananas (Another item I eat daily. Do watch your intake though, they are higher in sugar; even if it is natural sugar)
  • Apples (Red delicious)
  • Grapes (Green & red. I like to freeze them & eat them frozen for dessert)
  • Strawberries (We have so many farms in our area that grow them. I love them best when they're in season)
  • Pineapple (Again, really good frozen when you're wanting something sweeter)
  • Watermelon
Other:
  • Salsa (Brand: All Natural Frog Ranch. I haven't seen another salsa lower in sodium. Take 4 chicken breast, pour a jar of salsa over it, cook on low in the crockpot for 6 hours and POOF! You just made 6 meals!)
  • Natural Peanut Butter (Brand: Crazy Richard's. I am OBSESSED with this too! I eat the crunchy version. 2 Tbsp everyday. You can find it at Walmart! Make sure when you are looking for a natural brand of peanut butter the only ingredients listed are: peanuts)
  • Coconut Oil (Brand: LouAna. I use this instead of olive oil. Coconut oil has so many healthy benefits for your body)
  • Diced Tomatoes
  • Chicken Stock (Brand: Simple Truth Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth)
  • Dijon Mustard (Brand: Private Selection)
  • Hot & Sweet Mustard (Brand:Trader Joe's)
  • PB2 (Powdered Peanut Butter that I add to my protein shakes) 
  • Protein Powder (I am in the process of researching a new brand that fits my needs and my taste.So stay tuned! I will tell you that if you're looking for a flavor and you see; "vanilla cream" RUN! But if you're hard headed like me, try it and see if you can choke down a whole serving of it)
I am sure I have missed 1,000 things, but this should be enough to give you an idea of how I roll. Good luck shopping!

-RB Xx


1 comment: